By Robert H. Ellison
The most recent installment in Brills a brand new background of the Sermon sequence bargains leading edge stories of sacred rhetoric within the 19th century. the 3 sectionsTheory and Theology, Sermon and Society within the British Empire, and Sermon and Society in Americacontain a complete of 16 essays on such themes as biblical feedback, Charles Darwin, the Oxford flow, the Womans Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), English Catholicism, sermon-novels, and the slave alternate on either side of the Atlantic. a number of traditions are represented, together with the Anglican and Presbyterian church buildings, English nonconformity, Judaism, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, making this a compilation that would attract a variety of preachers, historians, literary students, and scholars of the rhetorical tradition.Contributors are Miriam Elizabeth Burstein, Thomas J. Carmody, sunrise Coleman, Robert H. Ellison, Joseph Evans, Keith A. Francis, Brian Jackson, Dorothy Lander, Thomas H. Olbricht, Carol Poster, Mirela Saim, Jessica Sheetz-Nguyen, Bob Tennant, David M. Timmerman, Tamara S. Wagner, and John Wolffe.
Read or Download A New History of the Sermon: the Nineteenth Century PDF
Best christianity books
A newly up to date version of the landmark translation via one in every of our best spiritual scholars
Since its book in 1962, esteemed biblical specialist Géza Vermes's translation of the useless Sea Scrolls has verified itself because the authoritative normal. the unique manuscripts, found within the Judean barren region among 1947 and 1956, thoroughly reworked our figuring out of the Hebrew Bible, early Judaism, and the foundation of Christianity. Now in its 7th version, the whole lifeless Sea Scrolls in English has been up to date with a couple of formerly unpublished texts, in addition to vast new introductory fabric and notes. a few sixty years after the Scrolls' discovery, this revised and multiplied quantity crowns a life of examine by means of Vermes.
Is faith a good truth on your lifestyles? If now not, have you ever misplaced whatever by means of forfeiting this size of your humanity? This ebook compares the theology of Tillich with the psychology of Jung, arguing that they have been either thinking about the restoration of a legitimate spiritual feel for modern tradition.
This sequence is predicated at the best-selling grownup Left at the back of sequence. Readers will see the Rapture and Tribulation throughout the eyes of 4 young children who've been left at the back of
Drawing on cultural reports student Kuan-Hsing Chen's threefold concept of decolonization, deimperialization, and de-cold-war, this booklet offers analyses of the interrelated matters in regards to the dating among Christianity and the us' imperialist militarism within the Asia Pacific. participants discover the results folks imperialist militarism at the formation of Asian and Asian American collective subjectivity and inter/intra subjectivity.
- The Origins of Proslavery Christianity: White and Black Evangelicals in Colonial and Antebellum Virginia
- Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana
- The Apocalypse Code: Find out What the Bible Really Says About the End Times and Why It Matters Today
- Theology and the Drama of History
Additional resources for A New History of the Sermon: the Nineteenth Century
52. , pp. 22–23. , p. 422. , p. 15. 74 John Henry Newman, Lectures on Justification (London, 1838), p. v. , p. vi. 81 Some of the statements above, and the larger discussion of faith and works of which they are a part, would appear to support this assessment. It is not, however, an even balance, for Newman’s calls to exhibit a “fruitful faith”82 are easily overshadowed by his discussions of the “instrumentality of faith”83 the “formal cause of justification”,84 the “philosophical relation of justification to sanctification”,85 and other complex theological topics.
185). His first suggestion was adopted, but John 7:17 was ultimately selected as the “motto”. I have not found the reasons for the changes, but both decisions were 159 the tractarians’ sermons and other speeches 39 Newman, Pusey, and Williams quote or closely paraphrase this verse,165 and its essence appears throughout the series.
30. 141 Arthur Wollaston Hutton, Cardinal Manning (Boston, 1892), p. 219. 136 the tractarians’ sermons and other speeches 35 educational system and of the careers his hearers would pursue in just a few years’ time. 144 Hutton would probably have said much the same thing about Charles Page Eden and Charles Marriott, the two Tractarians who succeeded Newman as vicar of St Mary’s. 145 This emphasis upon practice is particularly evident in sermons on topics that would seem especially amenable to academic or theoretical exploration.